Nice title, no? I’m on a big NiN streak these days on the iPhone. Ghosts and Year Zero are taking up some serious space these days, along with this guy, this girl and this show (Yes, this is super nerd Greg talking).
Of course, the title has a double meaning of sorts: this summer’s looking, well, pretty amazing in terms of movies. I saw Watchman on Saturday and it was tremendous (if a little bit disappointing, since I’m a fan of the novel), and there were a whole bunch of previews that pretty much solidified my entry into Nerd Paradise this summer. I will be spending a considerable amount of time in theatres this summer (unlike last summer, which, aside from Indiana Jones and The Dark Knight, was a real lame-o summer movie-wise… God, Get Smart was honestly considered a box office hit? Jeez).
* Terminator: Salvation. I’m a huge, huge, huge fan of the Terminator series. Aside from the very mediocre effort that was Terminator 3, the series has been a huge part of my love of sci-fi. So now comes what looks like the Best Terminator Film Ever. I saw the trailer and I think I will — nay, I definitely will — be there opening night.
* Star Trek. J.J. Abrams had best get this right. It looks like, so far, he has. The trailers look… awesome. I don’t think my heart could take another Nemesis-esque effort. I love Star Trek, okay? Speaking of love — check out what San Francisco looks like in the new film! Damn! (Aside: Family Guy has all the cast members of Star Trek: The Next Generation showing up in two weeks. *grins*)
* Inglourious Basterds. Not sci-fi, but come on: Quentin Tarantino giving World War II his distinct treatment? You better believe I’m there on opening day.
There’s more films I’m dying to see — Bruno, X-Men Origins: Wolverine — but those are the three must, must-sees.
Alright, so enough of that movie stuff.
* SXSW is in full swing down in Austin this week. Julia Allison, Kevin Rose, and every other member of the digerati are there. You have no idea how far I’d go to have attended this if I was a) going for free, and b) had no prior considerations. Other than that, I’d totally be there.
* Esquire has a list out in their new issue (the upside: Katy Perry looks real purty in it. The downside: it has a big feature on Ben Affleck) of the top 50 songs every man should be listening to. There’s some real gems in that list.