Holy Hanna – I’m 31 years old. In 1978 – my birth year – the following facts were in play:
* Average cost of new house was $54,800.00. My generation weeps at such figures.
* Worldwide unemployment rises after several decades of near full employment, which got the world used to the idea of non-steady work that continues unabated…
* The US stops production of the Neutron Bomb. Um, yay?
* The first ever cellular phone network is created.
* Grease and Saturday Night Fever are released to record business and John Travolta’s first career arc and sassy dance moves.
* Happy Days is the most popular show on TV. The 1950s remains cool in shiny, glossed-over form until Mad Men 30 years later.
Anyway, enough of that. What’s going on, tech stars?
* Windows 7 is now available for all to use in Beta format. The download servers at Microsoft also crashed. That is all.
* SoundOut is a new program being used to evaluate the commercial playability of new artists. Very cool stuff.
* Nortel’s future is in serious doubt. Again. Canadian darling gone bad.
Tonight, I’m celebrating with my folks for my birthday. Nothing too big, just a nice dinner and such.